Carolina Ocean Odyssey
Carolina Ocean Odyssey is a residential co-ed summer camp for 10-12 year olds. The primary focus of this program is to introduce campers to a variety of ocean activities while exploring the wonders our amazing North Carolina coastal environment. Our goal is for campers to gain confidence, independence and an appreciation for protecting and enjoying our earth’s oceans while having the time of their life!
Coastal North Carolina offers a unique setting for a hands-on, aquatic adventure program. With water temps averaging in the low 80’s, campers will jump right into adventure. From the clear warm waters and sandy shores of Topsail Island, campers will build confidence as they experience a different aquatic activity each day. Our marine educators lead the exploration of local habitats including dunes, salt marshes and tidal pools. You’ll also enjoy kayaking, a surfing lesson, boogie boarding and more! Other activities may include paddleboarding, snorkeling, and a boat tour.
Campers receive expert instruction and care from our highly trained team. Prior to camp, our staff participate in a week of training, which includes life-guarding, marine science, surf coaching, ocean ecology, childhood development and behavior management.
This camp is designed for students who are excited about the ocean and exploring the marine environment. We do require that campers be able to swim 25 meters unassisted and be comfortable in water where they can’t touch the ground. Due to our commitment to personal instruction, each camp session will be limited to 16 students and has a 4:1 camper to staff ratio.
- Extensive daily boogie boarding and/or water sport instruction
- Learn to Surf with the professionals at WB Surf Camp
- Observe turtle rehabilitation at the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center
- Salt marsh exploration including seining, crabbing, clamming and coastal ecology activities
- Learn ocean safety practices and the importance of conservation
- Enjoy a Hawaiian Luau and traditional camp activities
Camp tuition includes: lodging on Topsail Island (in air-conditioned, ocean view rooms), all meals, 24-hour same gender adult supervision, equipment and professional instruction for all activities. Also included: transportation (including drop-off and pick-up from Wilmington International Airport – ILM), Sea Turtle Hospital donation, community service certificate, camp t-shirt and group photo. Families are responsible for round trip airfare to ILM or transportation to Topsail Island and additional money for souvenirs.
2017 Carolina Ocean Odyssey Camp Dates:
Coastal North Carolina is surrounded by rich marine ecosystems that countless aquatic species call home. From the expansive Atlantic Ocean, with its miles of white sand beaches on barrier islands to the fluctuating and dynamic salt marsh habitats, Sea Turtle Camp gives you the opportunity to explore the ocean and learn about these amazing habitats. We strive to provide youth with the opportunity to learn more about marine life and conservation through hands-on, experiential activities.
During this awesome adventure you may participate in activities such as:
- Kayaking through the salt marsh
- Paddleboarding through the coastal ecosystems of North Carolina
- Snorkeling through our crystal clear waters
- Exploring dunes and tidal pools
- Tour the North Carolina Aquarium
- Participate in a community service project
While at camp, students will be staying in the heart of the sea turtle action on Topsail Island. Pronounced Tops’l by the locals, this 26-mile long, quarter-mile wide barrier island has a rich history filled with pirates, fishermen and surfers. Since Topsail Island is one of the less developed barrier islands in the area, groves of maritime forest still dot the island and are rumored to hide Blackbeard’s treasure. Nowadays, Topsail is known as a laid-back beach town and a sanctuary for sea turtles.
Campers will be housed in fully furnished retreat center with an ocean view and beach access just a few feet away. This is an ideal location, as we will only be steps from our outdoor classroom. Students will see the sun rise over the ocean during morning nest patrols.
The rooms are gender-specific and feature air-conditioning, comfortable common areas and gender specific bathrooms. Each participant will have his or her own bed. Sea Turtle Camp staff members are housed on-site and will provide 24-hour, same gender adult supervision.
Campers will not only enjoy the breathtaking sunsets from the decks of the Retreat Center, but also private beach access, campfires and outdoor activities such as volleyball, corn hole, basketball and much more.
This exciting summer camp is in partnership with our company’s learn-to-surf and ocean safety division WB Surf Camp!
Should I bring a friend?
- While most participants come alone, you are welcome to come with a friend.
How old are the campers I will be rooming with?
- Roommates are grouped together by age in order to enhance the overall level of comfort.
Can you cater to special diets?
- Yes we can. You will be asked about food allergies, special diets, and in addition what types of food, snacks, and drinks you prefer in your camper forms.
What do I need to bring?
- A complete packing list will be included with your informational registration packet.
What sort of payment do you accept?
- We accept checks, money orders, or VISA/MC/AMEX credit cards. All credit card payments are processed online using a secure server. There is a $50 service charge for all returned checks. With the exception of the deposit, a 3% credit card surcharge will be assessed to all payments made by credit card. Please review our cancellation policy. Deposits are not refundable after acceptance into a program.
What airport is best to fly into for your program, and do you provide a shuttle service?
- The best airport to fly into is the Wilmington International Airport (ILM), which is located a short drive from our camp facility on Topsail. Our educators meet all participants at baggage claim. The shuttle cost to and from this airport is included in program tuition.
What if I can’t get in by the set check in time?
- Please contact our Program Coordinator to discuss arrivals and departures outside of our preferred times. In order to avoid missing any planned activities, participants should try to arrive between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm on the first day and depart between 11:30 pm – 12:30 pm on the last day of camp.
What if my luggage doesn’t make it?
- Occasionally the airlines will misplace luggage or your suitcases will miss connecting flights. We recommend keeping essentials, such as medications, toiletries, bathing suit, and extra change of clothes, in their carry-on luggage just in case.
What is your cancellation policy?
- Sea Turtle Camp is an extremely high quality, tight margined program, with limited space. Therefore, once your student has been accepted into the program, exceptions to this policy cannot be made for any reason, including weather or personal emergencies. Please review the terms of our cancellation policy. In order to enroll in camp you must agree to these terms.
Do you have insurance?
- We carry a comprehensive insurance package, including general liability.
How much spending money should I bring?
- We recommend campers bring $50 to $75 per week of camp. This is for snacks, souvenirs or gifts you wish to purchase while at camp.